(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Friday, May 26, 2006

Question of the Day: Day 146

Have you ever taken credit for someone else's work or idea? Has anyone ever taken credit for something that you did? How did it make you feel?

4 Comments:

Blogger b said...

The only thing I can think of doing like that was when I gave my step-mother the lyics for Billy Joel's "Angry Youn Man", I think I was 14, and told her I wrote the piece.

I didn't like her, and just felt like one-upping her concerning her pride of poetic accomplishment - she wrote a lot of poetry, which now, I look back and realize was just ego-centric drivel - but I was an angry young man, and so, I blatantly plagarized Mr. Joel for my own personal (nasty) satisfaction.

And sure, other people have taken credit for my accomplishments - I don't care all that much - I figure it all comes out in the end.

I think it was Mark Twain (but I'm not really sure) who wrote that "Imitation is the highest form of praise." It seems to me that stealing one's fire could be considered to be an even higher form. Although the benefits seem pretty empty - the difference between mere survival, and real life.

I've certainly never, neither in my own experience, nor that of others seen an increase in happiness occur through this kind of behavior.

5/26/2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I believe that people should be recognized for what they do. It gives them a boost of self confindence and a pat on thier self esteem. I have not taken credit for someone elses work. But plenty of times people have taken credit for mine work. and my ideas.

Makes me feel sorry for people who do that to others.

5/26/2006 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was probably 10 or so, I found an interesting picture at school and apparently was so desperate for some kind of conformation that I took it home and told my Mother that I had made it. Of course she made over it and me....And subsequently I felt like a piece of dirt(to put it politely).
Eventually I told her and got to experience the wonderful glow of my Mothers disappointment at my deception.I never forgot that feeling, and although I added a few more failures as a human being to the books, I never took credit for someone elses contribution again. As far as anyone taking credit for mine......Hey, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?

5/26/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

No. I know personally violating it can feel to have someone take credit for hard work that I have done so I would NOT do thatto someone else.

I have experienced other people taking credit for my work and sometimes it really hurts especially if I really put a lot of effort into it. It feels sucky.

6/19/2006 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home