(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Friday, May 19, 2006

Question of the Day: Day 139

What are your weaknesses and how do you compensate for them?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, I am with Wings on this one. I spend too much time in my own head when the chips are down. I always feel better when I get after it, whatever "it" is.

"Sorrow is mere rust of the soul; activity will cleanse and brighten
it."
Author unknown, but appreciated.
OV

5/20/2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't see compensation as equivalent to denial so I guess I'll stand out on this one but, as usual, I'm really okay with that.

I have a good friend who cannot spell worth a darn (and she has several college degrees) that she sees as a weakness and she compensates by keeping a dictionary handy and looking up every word that she's not sure about. It has become a very effective tool for her and she has a successful career.

I would say that one of my greatest weakenesses is that I procrastinate on things. I've talked about this in a few of the other values questions, too. Knowing that this is a problem for me has encouraged me to incorprate some strategies to help me avoid catastrophes in failing to meet deadlines. Sometimes I make lists and cross things off as they get done. Sometimes I ask someone that I trust (as reliable) to remind me of a due date. Sometimes I even get the job done early so that I don't have to worry about it later.

I think that recognizing an area of wekness and developing strategies is a good thing and I encourage all of my students to do a self-evaluation and strategy session every so often to stay on top of things.

5/20/2006 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've wondered if I am too often moved by emotions; what I feel rather than intellect. I "feel" many things deeply- to the core... Mostly, I think of it as blessing , -occassionally, a curse. I also have a tendancy to sometimes second guess myself, esp. if I believe that I may have unintentionally sent another negative vibes, or caused hurt. I tend to say it like it is... I do try to be thoughtful about it, but a few people have told me that I am honest about how I feel to a fault... However, I like that about myself & I do make every attempt to NOT to be careless with people.

What I do is strive to stay mindful of "me", be "awarius", & take a few steps back, & think, really think about things. Writing is a safe outlet for me. It helps me to get outside of myself all that I feel. I do not act on all that I feel... that would be a train wreck in the making.

In relationships, I have discovered that it is difficult to deal with another who operates from the same place.. lack of balance- too intense. Relationships with those who do not "get it" at all... too disconnected. There has got to be balance... teeter-totter.

5/21/2006 5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home