(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Question of the Day: Day 134

As more and more mothers are having to work out of the home to support their families (especially single mothers) how is this impacting new generations of children?
Should we be concerned about future generations if this trend continues?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am strongly opinionated on this one.
Personally, I believe that to be home with a child for atleast the first few years of life should be a mother's.. or father's (whichever parent decided upon) ... right. I don't feel entitled to much in this life, but when my children were young, I'd have absolutely hated to have had to work.
I wanted to be there for their first words, steps, potty training.. "rights of passage". It just does not make sense to me to pay another person to witness those precious 1st's. The United States is one of the countries which is least supportive of parental leave... many other industrialized/progressive countries allow one full year of family leave.. with one's job being held. I believe that I read some place that of advanced first world countries, the U.S. has the highest rate of infant mortality. Is there a correlation between working mother's & infant mortality? Not sure, but there may be.

I believe that companies need to be more open to job sharing, on site child care, part-time employment... etc.

I've never understood why anyone would want to have children... only to have a day care provider raise them. Of course, in regard child rearing, there are cultural differences... I did say that I feel strongly about this subject.

5/14/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I work out of the home, and my son has been in daycare since he was four months old. It was not by choice, but by necessity. I did put him in a womans home. So he had a home type atmosphere with only a few children there.

I don't know how this will impact him in the long run. He seems to be more socialized and can relate with kids easily. I feel that for his sanity and mine, its best if he goes there. I had him later in life and was full into my career. Would miss that if i didn't have an outlet at all.

In some ways I can see that he is suffering verbally, and in a few minor other ways. I know that it has allowed him to become more self assured. He knows what he likes. In other ways he has picked up some bad habits as well, but nothing too dangerous for a three year old.

Trying to analyze the future is a tricky thing. If i had to make an assumption of how this would affect future generations, i would be optomistic, and say that kids will find families not necessarily of their blood. This is a truth i have experienced in my adult life. Its up to the parents to keep an open line of communication. I have realized in the brief amount of time that I have been a parent, Control is an illusion. You must always be engaging with your children to get their respect and attention. Use the few moments you have on nights and weekends to remind them of where they originated and that you are sincerely interested in thier understanding and knowledge of what is going on around them.

wow. off track, but hey. thats what i think. :wink:

5/15/2006 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

6/10/2006 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

8/12/2006 2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

8/17/2006 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home