(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Monday, July 10, 2006

Question of the Day: Day 191

Do you think that a person who has a terminal illness or devastating injury should have the right to terminate their life without medical or government intervention? Why or why not?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. You know, the greatest mercy we give out pets is an exit with dignity. Why can't we give that gift to each other or to ourselves? Seems sort of unfair, doesn't it?

7/10/2006 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough one for me. Theoretically & Compassionately, I "get it" & can't completely disapprove of it. Yet, I have a little nagging reservations.

One of my first jobs was working as a nurses aide in a SNF.. for the elderly. I worked in that capacity for two years. Eight years later, I returned to work for the same facility, but working in the office this time. Many of the patients/residents who were in a near vegetative state eight years earlier when I left, and whom I was certain must have passed on by "now"; Many of the ailing elderly hadn't, they were still alive, breathing anyway - unable to feed, bathe, dress, bathe themselves, or to wipe their own bottoms... Unbelievable~ while young vital people whom I'd known were dying some killed in car or motorcycle accidents, one who died just out of high school with cancer, another whom committed suicide... it made no sense to me. Just no sense.

Back to the topic at hand~ Intellectually & with my heart I understand the concept of merciful termination... an end to the exhaustion & or pain but morally, I'm not 100% certain. I suppose for it has something to do with my baptist upbringing... some things "we" just have a difficult time letting go of. Taking life is one of those things for me... difficult to be 100% certain at this time in my life, and I hope that I never have to make that decision.

7/10/2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Mississippi Songbird said...

It's it my decision, Yes.. If they don't have it in writing, then I don't want anyone to assume it for me.

7/11/2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

If it is truly at that point where quality of life is severely diminished, pain is unquenchable, or the mind is completely gone then I think that each person should be able to make this decision for him or herself and that the hospital, the courts, and their families should respect that.

This should, of course, be thought out, written, and notarized AHEAD of time.

7/11/2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger b said...

Yes.

I don't lknow whether or not I would choose that path - I know of miracles, and would not want to short-change myself. However, I believe everyone has the right to choose for themselves the quality and duration of their life, especially in the face of unmanageable suffering.

7/11/2006 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I do. I have a terminal illness and when the time comes , I'm leaving on my terms. I've talked it over with those I love most and they all understand. But because of the laws against it. I plan on not involving anyone or getting anyone to assist me in my decision.

7/17/2006 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home