(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Monday, February 27, 2006

Question of the Day: Day 58

When you see someone begging for money on the side of the road what, if any, assumptions do you make about that person and their situation?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often assume there's a problem with mental illness or substance abuse.

2/27/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Anica said...

Mental illness and/or circumstances.

2/27/2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That thier in trouble and they need help and thier situation is bad.Or thier trying to get money for drugs.

2/27/2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say if they look young or atleast capable of working that they should get a job. Because if I could work then so could they.

2/27/2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's sad to see somebody on the street. I don't care about there situation is. I would give them food and money. I care about people who are poor. I'm that type of person.

2/27/2006 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I see someone begging for money I think of alot of differnt things.

2/28/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think that many of the nation's homeless do suffer from mental illness and I don't think that most of them even have the ability to make signs and beg at shopping centers.

I have become somewhat cynical and I do not think that the majority of the people I see begging are homeless, hungry, or incapable of working for a living.

I think that the majority of beggars these days are con-artists.

3/01/2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost wrote about a past instance where I had been approached for cash. Actually, I erased it. Long story short, it was the start of me really looking at the person for any sign they were actually living on the street. Rarely do I see any.

The situation that annoys me the most is the young couple with a baby. I can't help but wonder about the selfish decision that led them there. Was it the hundreds of dollars of ink on their bodies? A chemical dependancy? Just trying to get free cash so they can go to a concert? Why isn't one of them out looking for a real job, even temp work, instead of expecting society to bail them out of trouble.

The fact that they go phishing in high traffic areas, i.e. grocery stores and malls, leads me to be suspicious of stories of "having just broken down here". I've never seen anyone begging outside a jewelery store or a bank (regular or blood) or the YMCA. And, I've heard the same story from the same person (wearing different clothes) on different days over an extended period of time.

Sadly, I know that someone somewhere I have ran into lately isn't some poser looking for a handout, but I'm so jaded I tend to expect BS.

3/08/2006 3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home