(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Question of the Day: Day 260

What would you say or do if you had a teenage daughter who had already dropped out of high school, becomes pregnant, and tells you that she has no intentions of working since she knows that her parents and the government will take care of her indefinitely?

6 Comments:

Blogger Mississippi Songbird said...

Well, First of all, I would try not to judge her and tell her I loved her. Then I would try to eventually change her mindset to that of one that is independent. I would want her to know the drawbacks of depending on the government. Maybe let her talk with other girls that have gone thru this and come out independent....

9/17/2006 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid that it is hypothetical to me but I'll try.
I would try my best to reach her
with images of the future, however and wherever I could find them, and impart the gravitas of the
choices that she is making for her baby. It's weak I know, but sometimes you have to actually be in a situation to know how to deal with it.

9/17/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I believe she is disillusioned. And one day she will have to do things on her own. And don't take what she says so seriously. ONce she realizes that she can only get what she needs by having money, and working for it, things may change.

If you are her parent, i would say that any money she receives should be given as a reward for some accomplishment she can do. Like dusting, ironing, cleaning, some kind of chore. Bookwork, filing or whatever kind of work you can find.

this may not be the ultimate solution but it might be a step towards a more productive adulthood. what's her child going to learn about life if she is this way? Yikes.

9/17/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

If it were my child, I'd say good-bye. (but nicely)

9/17/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger b said...

If I were her parent, she would have to see how well the government would do the job - I would be a grandparent to the child - but I would not enable her by giving her cash, providing regular daycare, or listening to her complain about how tough she's got it. She would not be living in my home, either.

I would also be the FIRST to contact Children & Family Services at the first sign of neglect or abuse.

9/19/2006 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Damn, you got it all figured out already & I'm still working on it~ my bad. If that's the life you want, that's the life you'll get, Sweetie."

Then it would take everything I had not to woop her butt.

9/19/2006 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home